- FoodA variety of local food, thanks to the rich-nature surroundings
- One of the best fish markets of Shikoku Island is located in Yawatahama being surrounded by excellent fishing banks. More than 200 kinds of fish are brought into the local market annually. Migratory species of fish come to nearby Uwa-kai Sea and Bungo-suido Channel in every season, which makes Yawatahama prospered as a great fishing town. Fishcakes such as Kamaboko (steamed) and Jakoten (deep-fried) made with different kinds of fish are a local specialty.
- History and CultureTraditional rows of houses are still to be found in the town
- Yawatahama once flourished as the biggest commercial town in Ehime Prefecture in the early Meiji Era. Quite a few old buildings of those days still remain to this day. Such buildings as a red-brick warehouse and an old-fashioned western style building are also found in Honai District. Modernist architecture, an example of which is a nationally-designated important cultural asset, Hizuchi Elementary School, can be observed.
- NatureBeautiful scenery facing Uwa-kai Sea
- A complicated coastline of ria facing Uwa-kai Sea makes a stunning bay-scape of weaving headlands and inlets. “Oshima Island” located several kilometres off of Yawatahama is a prefectural nature park. Rare “Pseudotachylyte” described as a kind of fossil layers made with earthquake force was designated as a national natural treasure in 2004.
The promenade of “Suwazaki,” a headland stretching toward Uwa-kai Sea, was selected as one of the excellent 100 walking trails of Japan.
- IndustryCitrus fruits nurtured in full of sunlight
- Citrus fruit cultivation has been prosperous in Yawatahama, thanks to its mild climate and unique landscape. “Hinomaru,” “Maana,” “Kawakami” and “Mitsuru” are examples of the local brands of Unshu Mikan mandarin oranges, which are highly recognized and evaluated all over Japan for the quality and quantity.
The Three Suns, which are the direct sunlight, reflection off the sea and reflected heat from stone steps of terraced fields, add the flavour to make them superb.
- Recreations and Hands-on ExperiencesBeautiful scenery facing Uwa-kai Sea
- Yawatahama, located at the west edge of Shikoku Island, is surrounded by the nature facing to the blue seas. People in urban areas may think “What a remote place!” However, in Yawatahama we can come across thrills and excitements that cannot be found in big cities.
Enjoy walking, going-outs, sea bathing, bike riding, hiking and many more.